Monday, January 30, 2012

The Star-Spangled Banner ...Last Verse!

I'll admit; I have a fantasy about singing the National Anthem at a major event.  It's not because I can actually sing - because I can't - but because I dream of stepping up to the microphone with confidence and pride and belting out...the final verse:

O, thus be it ever when freemen shall stand,
Between their lov'd homes and the war's desolation;
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserv'd us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust"
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!


No one would be able to say or do anything about it until it was over.  I would give particular emphasis to the lines, "Praise the Pow'r that had made and preserv'd us a nation!" and "In God is our trust".  What a message and reminder it would send to the millions of people watching!

Alas, I cannot sing, so I have to rely on the dream that maybe someone with actual talent will someday be so bold.  Kelly Clarkson this Sunday at the Super Bowl?  I won't hold my breath.

No comments: