Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Conservative Pride!

Hi! My name is Garrett and I am a conservative. As long as I can remember I have always known in my heart that I was conservative. As a youngster when the other kids talked about unfairness and they reveled in receiving participation trophies I was thinking about smashing the trophy on the ground and kicking butt the next time. When they railed against traditional families, I was glad I had a mom and a dad who loved me. It was hard. I never felt like I fit in. There were times when I questioned my conservatism, but I would just deny it and bury it. I even tried to be liberal, but I couldn't fake it. The conservative urges within me were too strong to deny. Finally, I got tired of living all the lies and pretending to be something I wasn't. When I was 18 years old, I told my parents that I was conservative. I suffered a lot of rejection from friends and family but some of them have come around. My parents struggled with it, but they have grown to accept me for who I am.

I think it's important to point out that I did not choose to be a conservative. God made me this way. It is unfair for others to ask me to expand my thinking and accept things like homosexual lifestyles, because that would deny who I really am. It's difficult to be a conservative in this liberal world. We are constantly the butt of jokes and the objects of scorn, even from the President of our own Country. But, today I am proud to be a conservative. I am glad God made me this way, even if it does make things difficult for me sometimes. We are all different and you need to be tolerant of me and accept my lifestyle and ideas. To do otherwise, would make you a hateful, divisive, and oppressive conserva-phobe!

No comments: